Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Technological Revolution

What Technological Revolution?........................
 OR
Is a Smart Phone only for a Smart Person??


The phone rang as I was sitting relaxing on the couch last night. It was not the standard ring one might expect. It sounded like "Duh-Duh-Duh-Duh............ if you can imagine. For you see I had just installed the theme from the old TV series, Twilight Zone! It was a rather late evening call, and as I picked it up and answered, I wondered who would be calling so late at night. Well, it was my wife and she was sitting 10 feet away from me in her recliner, with her Smart Phone in her hand. She was testing my newly downloaded Twilight Zone ringtone. Where are we? What year is it? My confused mind flows through the idea of having any other ring on a phone except the old "Ring-Ring" from many years ago in our small house in the small town where I was born and grew up. 

You see, if you look at the picture of the phone above that is exactly the kind of phone we had in that little house. Except there was no dial. When you wanted to call you picked up the receiver hanging there like a ripe banana, and waited for the Operator to say, "Number Please" and you gave her the number you were calling. My friend's Mom was named Thelma and she was the operator most of the time at the phone company down in the small town center. We would say, "Hi Thelma, what time is it?" or something like that and Thelma would tell us. We were on a party line--no you party animals!! That is not where the party is!!! 8-))) That meant that one or more households shared that line with you and your ring tone was a different number of "ring-rings"! And if you picked up the phone and there were voices talking, that meant that one of the other parties was using the phone and you were to hang up and wait. As you can see, I come from the old, very OLD days. How old? I never can tell anyone, but I do remember seeing soldiers marching down our narrow street during World War 2 to bivouac down at the local high school. So there, that should give you an idea.

Yes, we have newish Smart Phones and boy are they something!! We were at the Mall yesterday, and I called my wife to check on her for lunch time. Well, with the Smart Phone, since she didn't answer I left a message on her Voice Mail. Can you see that we are building a completely new set of vocabulary words with these Smart Phones?? "Voice Mail, text message, contacts, smart phone" and the like.

Back to the earlier story, as I sat on the couch, my Wife announced that she had downloaded a new Ring Tone for her Smart Phone! And she asked, from 10 feet away in her recliner if I could call her and see if it worked. It was the Downton Abbey Theme from the recent TV series, so I did. The phones worked perfectly, and my mind swam through the convenience of our Smart Phones, and I thought, Is a Smart Phone only for a Smart Person??? Well don't ask me if I am smart? Maybe 8-)))) By golly, now that I think about it maybe I should have downloaded the theme song from the Film Rocky, Sly Stallone's series done several years ago.

It took me several months/years to get used to people walking around the Super Market and Malls and the Streets of our City talking out loud with earphones of some type on their Smart Phones. I saw one this a.m. at the Super Market, and I still wanted to say, "Excuse me were you talking to me??" I suppose I will never get used to that, but maybe I will. I do have some earphones and a Smart Phone.
Hmmmmm..............in thinking about it, I say: Smart Phones Rule! I wonder if they have them in the Artic?"

Oh excuse me, the Twilight Zone is ringing on my Smart Phone. I know who it is: It is my Sweet Wife calling from the garage, the washer drain must be stopped up again!!!!!!!!

No comments: